There are twelve campgrounds within Yellowstone National Park. Seven of these are operated by the National Park Service, the additional five are operated by Xanterra Parks & Resort. Camping is limited to 14 days between June 15 and September 15 and to 30 days the rest of the year. There is no limit at Fishing Bridge RV Park. Check-out time for all campgrounds is 10:00 AM. Since food and odors attract bears, items such as cooking stoves, utensils, coolers, trash bags, food, and toiletries may not be left outside or in tents or tent trailers, unless they are in immediate use!
- Xanterra Parks & Resorts
- Reservations are recommended and should be made as early as possible since some sites fill by morning. Xanterra manages campgrounds within the park.
307.344.7901 - same day reservations
307.344.7311 or 866.439.7375 - future reservations
- Bridge Bay
- Near Yellowstone lake, 30 miles from the East Entrance to Yellowstone. Open from mid-May to mid-September.
- Near the center of the park. Open from early June to early September.
- Fishing Bridge RV Park
- By Fishing Bridge near Yellowstone Lake. Open from mid-May to early October.
- Grant Village
- At the southwestern edge of Yellowstone Lake, 22 miles north of the South Entrance. Open from mid-June to early October.
- 14 miles east of the West Yellowstone entrance and 16 miles north of Old Faithful. Open from early May to late October.
National Park Campgrounds
- Operated by National Park Service: www.nps.gov/yell
- Indian Creek
- Located mid-way between Mammoth and Norris, near Sheepeater Cliff, in the northwest section of the Park. Open from early June to mid-September.
- Lewis Lake
- Located approximately halfway between Grant Village and the Park's South entrance. Open from mid-June to early November.
- Just below Mammoth Hot Springs Village, 5 miles inside the northern entrance to the Park. Open year round.
- Near the center of the Park, within walking distance of Norris Geyser Basin. Open from late May through late September.
- Pebble Creek
- Pebble Creek campground is located on the west end of the Lamar Valley between Roosevelt Junction and the Park's northeast entrance. It is a small primitive campground, and is a favorite of fishermen and hikers. Open from early June to late September.
- Slough Creek
- In the Lamar Valley in the area of the Lamar Valley Buffalo Station. Open from late May through October
- Tower Fall
- Across the road from the Tower General Store 2.5 miles north of Roosevelt Junction in the northeast section of the Park. Open late May to late September.
One of the most spectacular ways to see Yellowstone is in the Backcountry. In the backcountry you will encounter spectacular features of the park you would otherwise overlook from the roadways. Yellowstone has a designated backcountry campsite system, and a Backcountry Use Permit is required for all overnight stays. Each designated campsite has a maximum limit for the number of people and stock allowed per night. The maximum stay per campsite varies from 1 to 3 nights per trip. Campfires are permitted only in established fire pits. A food storage pole is provided at most designated campsites so that food and attractants may be secured from bears. Neither hunting nor firearms are allowed in Yellowstone's backcountry.
Permits may be obtained only in person and no more than 48 hours in advance of your trip. Permits are available from most ranger stations and visitor centers. In order to obtain the best information on trail conditions, permits should be obtained from the ranger station or visitor center nearest to the area where your trip is to begin. The Backcountry Use Permit is valid only for the itinerary and dates specified. Backcountry travelers must have their permits in possession at all times while in the backcountry.
Advance Reservations for Backcountry Campsites
Although permits must be obtained in person no more than 48 hours in advance, backcountry campsites may be reserved in advance. Requests for reservations must be submitted by mail or in person. They cannot be made over the phone or by fax.
Reservations are booked on a first come, first served basis. A confirmation notice, not a permit, is given or mailed to the camper. This confirmation notice must then be converted to the actual permit not more than 48 hours in advance of the first camping date. Details are provided on the confirmation notice. The reservation fee is $15 regardless of the number of nights out or the number of people involved. The fee is not refundable. To receive the forms to make an advance reservation, write:
National Park Service, Attention: Backcountry Office, P.O. Box 168, Yellowstone National Park, WY 82190. Or you may call (307) 344-2160 or (307) 344-2163 to request forms.
Permits and Reservations made less than 48 Hours in Advance
Because only a portion of the approximately 300 backcountry campsites are available for advance reservations, you may choose to wait until you arrive in the park to reserve your site(s) and obtain your permit. The $15 fee applies only to reservations made more than 48 hours in advance of the start of your trip.
Where to Get Your Permit
During the summer season (June - August), permits are available 7 days a week between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Bechler Ranger Station
- Canyon Ranger Station/Visitor Center
- Location: The Canyon Visitor Center and Backcountry Office is located 1/8 mile southeast of Canyon Junction in the Canyon Village complex.
- Grant Village Visitor Center
- Location: 0.75 miles from the Grant Village Junction on the road to Grant Village.
- Lake Ranger Station
- Location: In the Lake Village Area on the Grand Loop Road approximately 1.5 miles south of Fishing Bridge Junction.
- Mammoth Ranger Station/Visitor Center
- Location: The Mammoth Backcountry Office is located in the Albright Visitor Center at Mammoth Hot Springs, five miles south of the North Entrance and at the northwest corner of the upper loop of the Grand Loop Road.
- Old Faithful Ranger Station
- Location: On the Grand Loop Road 16 miles south of Madison Junction across the west parking lot from the Old Faithful Visitor Center
- South Entrance Ranger Station
- Tower Ranger Station
- Location: Immediately west of Tower Junction.
- West Entrance Ranger Station